Green smoothies are potent elixirs drank by superheroes to give them their WOW factor. Think they’re worth a shot now? Let’s look at a few basic advantages of those good lookin’ green smoothies:
- FIBRE RICH! If nothing else convinces you to drink the green stuff, think of this- those added greens will help eliminate the bad stuff hanging around. Fibre is like a sponge, it picks up the rubbish and FLUSHES it out! Good job fibre!
- EASY DIGEST. Because its all blended up, your body won’t have to deal with that, so 1) your body can access the nutrients STRAIGHT AWAY (it doesn’t have to process them to access them, they’re already processed, GENIUS!!) which is like having an instant shot of the good stuff, ohhhh yeah, I’m talking about my good friends Vitamins and Minerals. Hello friends, I’d like to eat you now.
- ENERGY. They have a low GI (glycemic index) so they won’t make you sugar spike and have your emotions flying around like make meals out of marshmallows and mars bar ice-creams (true story.)
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY. Well this is a boring word. Why would I want that? Well let’s look at it this way- if you have a highly acidic diet (been ordering Dominoes every night of the week have we??) you’re body will be more prone to illness and infection (ugh. What a pain! Ha ha. Pain pun.) Your body is naturally slightly alkaline. It doesn’t want to be super acidic and it’ll tell you off by giving you the flu. Tut tut. Greens are alkaline. Like flu-fighting warriors, they come in with their bazukas and sort out those naughty acids.
- NUTRIENT DENSE. Dark leafy veggies are very very nutrient dense. Nutrient density is about the proportion of nutrients provided by the number of calories in food. For example, doughnuts are high in calories but low in nutrients. Your body recognises nutrients, they make you feel full, satisfied- because your body is getting what it needs and wants. But calories without many nutrients (for example, refined sugary treats like doughnuts) leave your body unsatisfied, still feeling hungry even though you may have chowed down hundreds of calories.